Tuesday, August 3, 2010

3.5 miles of speedwork?

Well, it's not THAT speedy, but accounting for how hot and muggy it is out...that's what I'm calling it...speedwork! I've been extremely slow in these muggy conditions lately (12:30-ish pace).

I had a hard time rolling out of bed this morning. Jewel had gymnastics. So, I missed my opportunity to run early. After I got home from gymnastics, I really didn't want to run, esp. outside! BUT, I got my gear together. James asked, "Are you running on the treadmill?" I answered by grabbing the Garmin. Nope, It's 10:40 and 81 degrees with ridiculous humidity, but I have to git-er-done!

I had no idea if I was going to do 3 or 4 miles, but as I started running I quickly wanted to cut it back to 2! The training schedule I'm on just calls for 30 minute runs on Tuesday and Thursday (very conservative). As muggy as it was, I knew I'd be lucky to see 12 minute miles. To my surprise, mile 1 was 11:03. I stopped grabbed a quick swig of water. "Not bad," I thought, "Let's push through another .5 mile, so that the out and back will equal 3 miles." I got to 1.5 miles and decided to push another .25 mile before turning around. I figured I'd either a) stop early at the 3 mile mark or b) push through to 3.5. After pacing 10:32 on mile 2, I was feeling pretty good. Grabbed another few gulps of water, and decided to make this run a 3.1. I missed my 3.1 mark on the Garmin, stopping at 3.11. I don't remember the time on the Garmin then. (Mile 3 was 11:04) I stopped, grabbed some more water, stretched out my tight calves a little, and contemplated whether I would walk the last almost 1/2 mile to my subdivision. Alas, I decided that walking is just too damn slow! I cranked it up and took off. Last .5 mile was 10:36 pace.

3.5 miles in 37:56 (10:40 pace)

Pretty happy with this run. I need to stop stopping though! I know I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the heat. I can run that distance...plus some (alot more of some!)! I'm getting to a point in my training where it's time to start pushing through the uncomfortable, and in many ways (speed in the heat) I feel like I did that today. But that next thing on the list is to try to do it straight through without the stops.

Let's see how Thursday pans out....

No comments:

Post a Comment