Sunday, August 8, 2010

A hot, hilly 4 miler...

James had a long bike ride on tap early this morning. So, I ran a bit later (9:00). It was already 80 degrees when I headed out. I wasn't feelin' it at all! I debated making this a treadmill run, but you never know...the Omaha half marathon may actually be a bit warm weather. So, I know I need to acclimate to the heat...and the hills, too.

Even though I was dreading this run, it turned out to not be too bad. I was pleased with my effort and outcome. I've been getting bored with my route. So, this past week, I've been shaking it up a bit. Still running part of the same route, but instead of doing all out and back, I've been doing more loops. Crazy, but, I like loops better!

About 2 miles in today, my left knee started to feel funky. I decided to just ignore it. Soon, I didn't feel it anymore. (It is feeling a bit tweaked today though.) My right calf was still tight today. Not completely sure what's going on with that, but I've also had a bit of irregular heart palpitations in the past couple of days. James and I think I may have a bit of an electrolyte imbalance. So, yesterday and today, I have had 8 ounces of coconut water with a bit of Accelerade (recovery drink) mixed in it to try to correct that. Eight ounces of coconut water has more potassium than 2 bananas. I'm feeling better. The day before I tried this concoction, I had no energy and irregular palpitations. The day after the drink, my energy was back to normal and the palpitations had decreased. So, I think I'm on the right track now.

Back to today's run. I felt pretty good until about 3.5 miles in. A short, but steep, hill got the better of me. I walked up a bit of it. After the hill, I kicked it to the end.

4 miles 47:06 11:47 pace
Mile 1 - 11:49
Mile 2 - 11:25
Mile 3 - 11:47
Mile 4 - 12:06

Yesterday, the family and I did a 3 mile fun walk with friends for JDRF. So, I ended up with more miles this week than expected.

On Friday, I rode my bike (2.2 miles) to Curves for my workout (and back too). On the way there, the owner of a german shepherd threatened to turn the animal "loose on your ass." Yep, I'll be sure I ride with my cell phone from now on so that I can call 911 immediately. Still can't believe someone would do that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I confirmed you on Dailymile! Great to find you. We are both running our first halves soon. Looking forward to following along and training with you. It's tough doing this and being a mom isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm very excited to find someone else blogging about running in the Omaha area. Good luck with your training - you are on the right track with doing hill work. I ran the Omaha Half last year and there is one looooong hill at about the half-way point (just past Orsi's bakery up to Bancroft, if you know the area.) I look forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete