Monday, July 25, 2011

longest run of the year

First off, I know it's been 3 days since I've posted my daily food intake. They haven't been great. They haven't been horrible. Yesterday, I desperately wanted a delicious salad for dinner. I knew the kids would love to go to Valentino's. It's a local pizza/Italian/grande buffet. I called ahead to be sure they still had the "salad bar " option. I knew when faced with the Grand Buffet, I would lose control. So, knowing that I paid for just the salad bar, I would easily rein it in! When we get there I review the menu. "Salad bar" is available from 11am-4pm (it's 5:30 at this point) and NOT ON SUNDAY!!! (this was sunday). We walked out. James tried to buckle Jewel into her seat. She was tired, hungry, cranky. My son was upset we weren't staying. Finally, I decided it wasn't worth the fight. We went back in. I started with the salad bar...and was really disappointed. No light dressing options, no shredded parm. After not finishing my salad portion, I decided that for over $10, I would be eating some not so good for me foods. Truth be told, it wasn't very good. We used to go to this place fairly often. Now, I found everything to be salty or tasting like it was straight from a can. I don't know how many points I ate there, but I do know that I didn't eat as much as I used to! I also stopped eating something if I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. I used to just finish it all..just because.

One of the reasons I threw caution to the wind and "Okayed" the trip to the buffet....how about a 1000 calorie burn in the morning. And because of the 1000 calorie burn, my blood sugar kept crashing all day, clearly not well fueled. It made it pretty easy to agree to a buffet. So...this 1000 calorie burn, oh yeah...

I set out yesterday morning for a long run. I'm not currently training for any particular race. My plan is just to stay 10k ready. I ran a 10k four weeks ago (in 1:00:17)!!! Since then I've had a 5 miler squeezed in. I knew it was time to get in a long run again. I've been thinking about stretching it out a bit to a 7 or 8 miler. Having run for the past 3 days straight, I knew 7 was my max yesterday. I set out just before 7:30. In tow was my phone, driver's license, a few bucks all stashed in the pockets of my running skirt. I knew I'd need water. So, I carried along my handheld and stashed some sports beans in the pocket of it.

I ran the first mile in 10:40. That was my cue that this needed to be a slow, easy run. It was fairly hot, but not as hot as it has been lately. I knew I was running to a local trail for a small out and back portion on the trail before heading back and finishing off on my usual 5 mile hilly loop. But, by mile two, I knew that my legs could not handle all the hills. Day four of running...no way! At that point, I made the decision to run more of the trail, since it is flatter, and just walk more home.

I got to the trail 2.85 miles into my run. I immediately started doing the math in my head while running. Originally I only needed less than a mile out before I turned around. The more I ran, the more I wanted to just finish the run on the trail. By mile four, I was feeling fatigued. I pulled over to the side of the trail and ate a handful of sports beans. Much better! I had a little kick finally. I ended up running out more than two miles on the trail before turning around. All right 5 down...2 to go. About a 1/4 mile later, fatigue set in AGAIN. I pulled over and finished off the last of my sport beans. Just finish this up! 7 miles in 1:16:24 (10:54 pace). Walked a few steps and decided I needed to text the hubby. Sure I just finished up 7 miles, but on the trail...I was still 2.85 miles from home! I let him know that I would be walking home. So, I would be longer than anticipated.

After texting him, I started walking. Part of me wanted to just run, after all, it is quicker! But I knew I couldn't. I didn't want to injure myself...and I didn't have the extra miles in me. I decided to just enjoy my alone time. McDonald's was less than a mile away and on my route. So, I stopped in to refill my water bottle...with LOADS of ice! Felt too freaking good. Did I mention that the back of my shirt was completely soaked with sweat...so much so that it ran into my skirt...halfway down my skirt was soaked!

Bring on the hills, this route home is almost all uphill. And walking along, I knew I would be sore from it! To make the time go quicker and take my mind off of everything, I turned on the music player on my smart phone. No earbuds...just blaring my smart phone (the new boom box!) I finally made it home 49 minutes after I first started (2.83 miles...17:--pace)

I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 hours of alone time yesterday. And after the evening I had with the kids last night, I wanted more of it. I wanted to run away so bad, but I hurt too much. Today, I hurt even more. It's all good though. I don't get sore often. Sometimes, it's good to have that soreness as a reminder that I'm still a badass! But I probably should have treated myself to an ice bath yesterday. It probably would have helped some.

Today, I'm off to Curves to give myself a running break. Eating today has been less than stellar. The day isn't over...perhaps I can redeem myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment